Are you one of those who has been managing restaurants, cafes, or food chains and looking for ways to extend your business reach in 2021? Developing an on-demand food delivery app for your business is the perfect approach to stand with the changing market trends.
Due to the severe outbreak of covid-19, where businesses are shutting down, the global economy is in shambles, people are getting jobless — online food delivery apps like Uber Eats, GrubHub, DoorDash have become trendsetters in the domain.
If any enterprise is impressed with their remarkable success stories and influenced enough to create a food delivery app like UberEats or DoorDash, then you need to coordinate with the chain of restaurants and food chains in order to provide a wide choice of eating options to the users. Further, the enterprises, as well as the restaurant together, have to get involved in the processing of food delivery orders.
Sounds interesting? But still in a dilemma whether developing an on-demand food delivery app will be a worthy decision in 2021?
If yes, then here are the key highlights of the on-demand food delivery app blog…
- Why Investing in an On-Demand Food Delivery App is profitable?
- What Type of Food Delivery App You Can Develop in 2021?
- How Does On-Demand Food Delivery App Work?
- How To Create a Food Delivery App Like UberEats or DoodDash?
- Market Research and Understand Your Targeted Audience
- Considering the Technical Aspect of Creating Your Food Delivery App
- Features and Functionalities To Be Added in an on-demand Food delivery app
- App Development Team Required to Build a Food Delivery App Like UberEats
- How Much Does it Cost To Create an On-demand Food Delivery App?
- Conclusion: Add a Competitive Edge To Your Business With Food Delivery App!
Why Investing In An On-Demand Food Delivery App is Profitable?
There is no doubt in this fact that on-demand food delivery apps like Grubhub, DoorDash, Postmates are transforming the way people are getting their meals.
With that said, many enterprises are stepping ahead to develop a food delivery app for their business but at the same time, they are in doubt whether it will be a considerable decision as the industry is already ruled by business giants like DoorDash or Grubhub…
Well, the surging demand for on-demand food delivery apps has opened up plenty of opportunities for budding businesses. Despite having a list of food delivery applications, still, there is a room for business enthusiasts looking to create a food delivery app for their venture.
You don’t have to take our word. Here are market insights to help you understand how on-demand food delivery apps are taking the center stage and creating a buzz in the market.
- According to the survey report, smartphone food delivery app users have taken the steep shift from 36.4 million in 2019 to 45.6 million users in 2020 and are predicted to grow by 53.9 million users by 2023.
- It is predicted that the online food delivery market’s worldwide revenue is expected to rise to $151.5 billion in 2021.
- According to the survey report, the number of people using online food delivery services is projected to reach 96.9 million by 2024 in Europe.
- As the survey reports, 80%of Americans have ordered food for home delivery.
- As per the reports, one-third of Americans ordered food two times a week as a minimum.
- Based on last year’s food delivery customer demographics, 71% of customers would prefer contactless food deliveries.
With these facts and stats, it won’t be surprising to conclude that global consumers that are relying on the food delivery apps is a “New Normal” and that food service providers have to accept this trend and have to step forward to collaborate with a mobile app development company to make their customers happy and satisfied. All thanks to its convenience and easy navigation which has made everyone addicted to online food delivery apps. Whether you want to order your meals ahead of the week’s time or want to put bulk food orders for any occasion, you just need to tap on the screen and you are done!
What Type of On-Demand Food Delivery App You Can Build?
In the digital restaurant economy, if you are thinking of developing an on-demand food delivery app, there are two business models that you can consider for app development.
- Aggregator Business Model: With the app model, you can create an app that acts as the platform where users and restaurants come together to meet their needs. This type of app model provides plenty of options to the users to order food and the restaurants are able to view and complete the orders with the support of delivery partners.
- Dedicated Business Model: This type of business model is an ideal option for those who are running chains of restaurants in different locations and managing food orders in real-time with the support of delivery partners. An app following this app model can provide various options to the users along with speedy food delivery.
No matter what type of business model you choose to proceed with, it is important that you need to hire a mobile app development company that helps you create an app that works like a well-oiled machine. If you are new to this concept and not sure how exactly these food delivery apps work, then it is recommended to understand the mechanism of the online food delivery system.
How Does On-Demand Food Delivery App Work?
When it comes to developing a food delivery app like UberEats, you need to understand that it works like a dual business model. On one hand, it plays the role of aggregator and manages orders and on the other hand, it works as a trusted delivery partner. It allows restaurants to list their food items and process their delivery through the same platform.
So if you are planning to create an app clone like UberEats, Postmates or DoodDash, then you need to take a closers look at these workflow steps:
Step 1: Placing an Order By Customers: Once customers download the app, they can start browsing the list of restaurants, their menu, timeline and locations. As per the availability of the riders in different areas will decide how quickly the order will be processed.
Step 2: Custom Order Placing For Customers: Customers are next allowed to place a custom order for their specific food items, delivery time, location and more. The delivery of the order is decided by the customers.
Step 3: Delivery Partners/ Drivers: Food delivery services are all about serving freshly made food in real-time so hiring a mobile app developer is a worthy design. This is what UberEats have adopted and uses their own registered fleets to process orders. The orders received by the restaurants will be allocated to the drivers based on their availability and current location.
This is how most food delivery apps work? It may sound simple but there are hundreds of things supported at its back to make this platform work so smoothly and flawlessly. So to build a successful on-demand food delivery app like Doordash, Postmates or UberEats will be your next question…
How To Create a Food Delivery App Like UberEats or DoodDash?
When you come to the decision to build a mobile app, you have to follow a set of procedures right from successfully building a prototype of the app to its final deployment on the app store. Many of the businesses simply choose to completely rely on experts for app customization. However, if you are interested in knowing what exactly the process of the food delivery app has gone through, then here we have listed all the major components of app development.
- Conduct Market Research and Understand Your Targeted Audience
Having a million-dollar app idea for your business is not so challenging. Instead, to achieve success, you need to understand how that app idea enables you to meet the demand of end-users and how potential your app idea is. So before you hire a mobile app development company, your initial step must be understanding to whom you are planning to target.
Secondly, research the market to evaluate your idea of a food delivery app whether it best suits their needs and what technicalities you need to look for to build that type of app.
2. Considering The Technical Aspects of Creating a Food Delivery App
You may have a brilliant idea in your mind that may help you hit the market. But how will you transform that idea into a solution? That’s where you need to choose the right technology.
Well, the choice of the technologies, tools and methodologies will greatly vary based on the budget, the platform you choose to launch your app and the features to have shortlisted to include in your app.
Also, the more complicated app features would demand the latest technologies and hiring app developers with excellent technology skills may cost you hire. Further, other aspects to consider are platforms like iOS, Android, Native apps or hybrids.
Don’t get scared! We have a perfect solution for you…
Creating a food delivery app from scratch using third-party tools, such as APIs, App clones, SDKs of the latest frameworks will help you save a great development time and cost. But one thing that you need to take note is — UI/UX design of the food delivery app that ensures flawless navigation between multiple screens.
So considering all such points, we have framed out a few best technology stacks used by UberEats- which are worth considering for your next food delivery app development process:
- Frameworks and Programing Languages for Native apps (Android and iOS): Java, Kotlin/ Objective C or Swift, React Native, Flutter and more
- For Restaurant Listing: Grubhub API
- GPS Tracking: Core Location Framework for iOS, Google Places API for Android
- In-App Payment integration: Square API, Braintree, Stripe, PayPal, e-wallets
- For Navigations: Google Maps, MapKit
- Cloud Storage: AWS, Azure, Google
- Framework to Use: Both Android and iOS come with their own framework.
- For Registration: Facebook SDK Login or any other social media login
- In-App Storage: Amazon Cloud Storage
- For Analytics: Google Analytics or Mixpanel
Features and Functionalities To Be Added in an on-demand Food delivery app
Since the food delivery app screen is shared by the restaurants, users as well as drivers so that users can put their orders here and restaurants can get the orders delivered by the drivers. So the features and functionality of the app will be customized for the user, restaurant and driver panel.
So here we are starting with the important features that you can consider including at each panel to ensure seamless functionality.
Features To Create Food Delivery App — User Panel
- Login or app registration: Usually applications can be signed up using email or phone number but to make it fast, quick and easier, you can add the features of social media integration and let users sign up for the app with one tap. All they need is to confirm their mobile number.
- Set Location: With this feature, let the users add their location for the order process. You can think of hiring a mobile app developer to integrate the right choice of APIs so that the application will automatically detect the user’s locations and start showing the nearby restaurants along with the estimated delivery time.
- Add Highlights: Make your food delivery app’s homepage very interesting, engaging and lucrative to the users by adding nearby restaurants with their ratings, most ordered dishes, offers, and new additions on your homepage.
- Browse Menu: This is the most noted feature of the on-demand aggregator food delivery app. Allow users to browse menus based on cuisine, dishes, occasions, and more.
- Set Pickup Location: Add the features to either GPS pickup your address so that the app recognizes your exact location or let users manually add their pickup location.
- In-App Payment: Once the order is added to the cart and location is mentioned, allow users to choose the payment method that chooses them the best.
- Reviews and Ratings: Creating a review and rating section by hiring app developers is an important consideration as it will help users in expressing their experience, feedback and comments.
- Offers and Discounts: Keep your users engaged and updated with the latest food offers, discounts or deals through push notification.
- Order History: This feature will help users to view past order history and let them quickly re-ordering without juggling with the whole menu.
- Real-Time Order Tracking: With this feature, users can track the exact location of the drivers and be able to know the real-time of the delivery.
Features To Create Food Delivery App — Restaurant Panel/Admin Panel
- Dashboard: Once the app owners get registered with the app, then they will be directed to the homepage where they get all the insights of their food delivery business and are able to determine the progressing report. Right from tracking the pending orders to completed orders, app owners can check everything in between.
- Accept/ Decline Orders: Being an app owner, this is the most important that they need to keep monitoring as on-time delivery of the food is the primary concern. With the cut-throat competition in the market, users won’t bother such delays in their order and quickly cancel it if it is taking longer and ultimately it will be counted as a loss in business. You can hire an app developer to customize this feature to make it work well for the app. So as per the availability of the drivers, let the admin manage the order and be able to accept or reject the order request.
- Manage Payments: As users have multiple options to make payments as per their preference, implementing this feature will help restaurants to keep track of daily transactions with all history.
Features to Create Food Delivery App — Driver Panel
- App Login: As users, let the drivers log in to the app using their credentials such as phone number, email ID.
- Upload Documents: To assure that you have reliable delivery partners, you can add this feature asking to upload verification documents of the drivers.
- Order Request: When the customer places the order, it is auto-assigned to the drivers based on the location. Each order will be appearing with the unique order ID, customer name and delivery address. So depending upon their availability, let drivers accept or reject the request on the app.
- Order History: This feature will help drivers check the past orders that they have processed and be able to filter them with dates, status, or IDs.
- In-App Chat/Call: To make communication easier with the customers, add the feature of in-app chatting or calling and cut down the need of sharing personal numbers.
- Push Notification: The delivery boy will be notified when they receive the order request or any update from the restaurant panel.
- Google Map Navigation: Once the order is accepted, allow drivers to access optimized routes to ensure on-time delivery with easy navigations.
These are the few basic features that you can consider while building a food delivery app which may cost USD 20,000 to 25,000 USD and take up around 4 to 6 months in development. But the question is what type of app development company you need to collaborate with and what if you need to go beyond the basic app version? Don’t worry, we have an answer to these questions!
App Development Team Required For the Food Delivery App Development
Apart from choosing the best app features and functionalities, the first thing that makes a mesmerizing impression on the users is the sleek and clean UI of the app. So hiring the UI/UX designer for the food delivery app development is more necessary than a choice. Further to translate the codings into the final output, you will be required app developers (Android/iOS) depending upon the choice of platform. Once the app is developed, you need a skilled quality assurance engineer to make your app run on different platforms and conduct testing to eliminate errors.
So overall here is the breakdown of professionals required to create a food delivery app like UberEats:
- Business Analyst
- Project Manager
- UX/UI Developers
- Android/IOS developers
- Backend Developers
- QA Engineer
Now you must be burning with curiosity that how much does it cost to create an on-demand food delivery app like UberEats?
If so, then read further!
How Much Does It Cost To Create an On-demand Food Delivery App For Android/iOS?
When it comes to calculating the app development cost to develop an online food delivery app for your business in 2021, then you need to take various components into consideration. The overall cost to create a food delivery app like UberEats depends upon the number of features added to the app, the choice of app developers, the platform you choose to launch an app, the complexity of the app, technologies you are using the app development and more.
However, after evaluating all such app development budget influencing factors, we have roughly categorized the price range depending upon the features, technologies and complexity.
- Basic Food Delivery App: Comprises simple UI/UX design, basic features like MVP and ensures simple functionality will cost up to USD 20,000 for each platform and would take up 4 to 6 months to develop.
- Moderate Food Delivery App: Having advanced features with custom UI/UX design, in-app payment integration, social media integration, push notifications, and more can range somewhere USD 25,000 for a single platform.
- Advanced Food Delivery App: With complex features built with the latest technologies like voice command search, real-time tracking, custom graphics, third-party integrations, server backed with multiple databases and more will cost somewhere USD 35,000 for a single platform and will take 9+ months for development.
Depending upon your app development requirement, the budget and time estimations can go up and down, so it is always suggested to book a free consultation slot with the experts to discuss your project details.
Conclusion: Get Your Food Delivery App To Complete With Industry Titans!
Hopefully, with the long read of the blog, you have got all the important insights into the food delivery business app and how it will help you earn good revenue. So what you are waiting for, hire a mobile app development company that enables you to design and develop an on-demand food delivery app like UberEats, DoorDash, Postmates to add a perfectly competitive edge to your business. By customizing the app with the right choice of features and technologies, they help you enter the market with something more powerful and help you sustain your foothold in the market longer.
So if you have any idea in mind that you want to translate into a robust solution and are looking for the app development team that helps you take your business to new heights, then you can contact us and get your free estimation or drop a query below!
More content at plainenglish.io